Veterans working with Veteran Wellbeing Officers

Social work is a practice-based profession that facilitates social change and growth for people in all stages of life. It helps to build social cohesion, bridge the gaps between people and social systems and encourages people to feel empowered in their lives. The Veteran Wellbeing Officers (Social Worker) engage with people and social structures to address life changes and enhance well-being.

What do Veteran Wellbeing Officers do?

Social work is broad and diverse but most commonly works in a dual capacity, assisting with and improving well-being while also engaging with systems or structures that can impact well-being. For a veteran, a social structure can be the Department of Veteran Affairs, Centrelink, or other organisations like My Aged Care. These institutions often have complex and rigid ways of working and accessing them, which can cause unnecessary trauma for the veteran.  

Why Would A Veteran Need A Veteran Wellbeing Officer?

In general, navigating the social systems of the Government can be challenging. Veterans can be at a disadvantage due to social, emotional or physical attributes that have been related to service and require additional support. A Social Worker can act as an advocate for a veteran when they are trying to navigate these systems and when they are trying to improve their quality of life overall.   

Brian is an 80-year-old Vietnam Veteran who lives with his wife. He holds a DVA Gold Card. He recently had a bilateral hip placement and his wife is in recovery from spinal surgery. Brian was referred to a Veteran Wellbeing Officer, via his CVC assessment as he reported having issues with ‘daily living tasks’ like housework, and garden maintenance post-surgery. 

A Veteran Wellbeing Officer reached out to Brian and gained his consent to advocate on his behalf with the following agencies; Veteran Home Care and My Aged Care. 

The Veteran Wellbeing Officer arranged for assessments with Veteran Home Care for domestic duties and for an assessment with an Occupational Therapist from My Aged Care. 

Through the advocacy of the Veteran Wellbeing Officer Brian and his wife were able to access “as needed” domestic assistance for home duties and garden maintenance. The Veteran Wellbeing Officer was also able to help coordinate the Occupational Therapy functional assessment for aids and home modifications. 

Brian reported that the support of the Veteran Wellbeing Officer had helped to reduce the physical and emotional stress of organising assistance for daily living tasks and that having a Veteran Wellbeing Officer kept him informed about the progress of his case. He expressed that he felt more in control of his own well-being and that he felt like an active participant in the choices around his care. 

Barry is a 65-year-old veteran, who lives alone after his wife passed away. During a planning session with his Veteran Wellbeing Officer, it was identified that Barry would like to increase his social interactions and connectedness to his community. The Veteran Wellbeing Officer asked questions to help identify Barry’s interests. The Veteran Wellbeing Officer researched groups, meetups and opportunities within his local area.

Barry was present with the finding of the research and chose a group that meets fortnightly in his local area. In this group, Barry has met and become friends with another man who is in a similar situation, veteran and his wife have passed away, and they meet on alternate fortnights to maintain their companionship.  

Barry has reported back to his Veteran Wellbeing Officer that he has improved his well-being, increased his motivation, reduced his feeling of isolation, and increased his self-esteem.

Who Can Work With A Social Worker?

Veterans who hold at a minimum a White Card from the Department Of Veterans Affairs are able to access the support of a Veteran Wellbeing Officer (Social Worker) to assist them.

Get connected to Social Work services

Date of birth

By clicking Submit, you agree to VBA’s Terms & Conditions and acknowledge VBA’s Privacy Policy.

Informed Consent for Social Worker Services

The purpose of the following is to inform you about the provision of social worker services by Medilinks Australia Online Pty Ltd t/as VBA Health (“us”, “we” “VBA Health”) and for you to consent to receive social worker services from us and to our management of your personal information.

Part A

Social Worker Services

Type of Services

Social worker services include the following supports:

Part B

Management of Health and Medical Information

Collection of Personal Information

As part of providing social worker services to you, we need to collect and record personal information from you that is relevant to your situation, such as your name, contact information, medical history and other relevant information. This collection of personal information will be a necessary part of the services that are provided.

Viewing Your Accepted Conditions

The following steps will help view the accepted conditions of your DVA white card via the MyGov website.

Step 1:

Go to https://my.gov.au

Sign in to your myGov account using your Username and Password.

You can sign in to myGov using the following:

  • Your username (Your myGov username has 2 letters and 6 numbers. For example XY123456)
  • Your email address used to create your account
  • Your mobile number (if you have enabled this option)

After entering your login details you may be required to provide a one-time access code.

  • A one-time use code is sent by SMS to your mobile phone.

If you do not have a myGov account, you can create one by selecting Create myGov account on the myGov sign-in page.

using the MyGov login page

Step 2:

Once you have logged into your account scroll down until you see the heading ‘Your Services’.

Your Services lists the government programs you access that offer online services through myGov. You should see ‘Department of Veteran Affairs’ listed here.

Select ‘Department of Veteran Affairs’.

If you do not see Department of Veteran Affairs listed you will have to link this service to your account (See the video below).

You can do this by selecting Link another service.

Select the DVA tile

Step 3:

This is your Department of Veterans’ Affairs My Service Home Page.

My Service allows you to access DVA services online such as:

  • Access support for a service-related condition or injury
  • Access your digital DVA Veteran Card
  • Lodge and track the status of your claims

Look in the middle column titled Claims.

Select Accepted Conditions.

Select Accepted Conditions from the Claims Menu

Step 4:

This page shows your digital DVA Veteran Card.

You will see information such as your Card NumberExpiryCard Type and the Conditions listed on your card.

Select the Conditions Listed drop-down menu to view the conditions listed on your card.

Step 5:

Select Print this Page in the top right-hand corner of the page to download your digital DVA Card as a PDF.

Alternatively, if accessing this on your mobile phone you can take a screenshot of this page. Depending on your phone you can:

  • Press the Side button and the Volume up button at the same time (iPhone)
  • Press the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time


Video on how to log on and link my service: