What is Speech Pathology?

Speech pathology is about effective communication. Whether it’s talking on the phone, having a beer with mates at the pub or working effectively in a team, communication is key to being understood in most aspects of life. 

Many people associate working with a speech pathologist with manual or mechanical issues, things such as slurred speech post-stroke, or swallowing issues. However, working with a speech pathologist can enhance all forms of effective communication skills.

Why Would A Veteran See A Speech Pathologist?

Imagine being able to feel heard and understood by your boss and workmates, reading and understanding books or technical work more easily or creating a deeper more vibrant relationship with your romantic partners; effective communication skills are at the heart of everything that makes life enjoyable.

There are many reasons why a veteran might benefit from seeing a speech pathologist. Speech pathologists are an indispensable part of any multidisciplinary team.

They offer crucial assessment information that helps with differential diagnosis, provide effective interventions to address communication and swallowing difficulties and contribute to policy development. There is an emphasis on the importance of Speech Pathologists being included in the management of mental health, as communicative competence is central to successful relationships, social engagement and employment skills, all critical determinants of mental health.

Speech Pathologists are essential in the management of mental health as communicating effectively is central to successful relationships, social engagement, and employment skills.​

How Does A Speech Pathologist Work?

Like many other Allied Health practitioners, Speech Pathologists need to take a detailed health history, they will often work in conjunction with other health practitioners who can provide, with the consent of the veteran, additional medical information that helps create a treatment plan. They are trained to diagnose and treat communication disorders that may arise from issues with hearing loss, brain injury, and other problems that affect speech and language. This includes problems with:

Who can access Speech Pathology services?

Veterans who have a Gold Card and there is clinical relevance for the treatment are able to access the full range of allied health services that are funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs. 

White Cards with Accepted Conditions will be able to access services that have been deemed clinically necessary for their specific conditions. 

Non-Liability Mental Health White Cards may need to have a referral for specific conditions from a psychologist and general practitioner for specific conditions.

Get connected to Allied Health services

Date of birth

By clicking Submit, you agree to VBA’s Terms & Conditions and acknowledge VBA’s Privacy Policy.

Informed Consent for Social Worker Services

The purpose of the following is to inform you about the provision of social worker services by Medilinks Australia Online Pty Ltd t/as VBA Health (“us”, “we” “VBA Health”) and for you to consent to receive social worker services from us and to our management of your personal information.

Part A

Social Worker Services

Type of Services

Social worker services include the following supports:

Part B

Management of Health and Medical Information

Collection of Personal Information

As part of providing social worker services to you, we need to collect and record personal information from you that is relevant to your situation, such as your name, contact information, medical history and other relevant information. This collection of personal information will be a necessary part of the services that are provided.

Viewing Your Accepted Conditions

The following steps will help view the accepted conditions of your DVA white card via the MyGov website.

Step 1:

Go to https://my.gov.au

Sign in to your myGov account using your Username and Password.

You can sign in to myGov using the following:

  • Your username (Your myGov username has 2 letters and 6 numbers. For example XY123456)
  • Your email address used to create your account
  • Your mobile number (if you have enabled this option)

After entering your login details you may be required to provide a one-time access code.

  • A one-time use code is sent by SMS to your mobile phone.

If you do not have a myGov account, you can create one by selecting Create myGov account on the myGov sign-in page.

using the MyGov login page

Step 2:

Once you have logged into your account scroll down until you see the heading ‘Your Services’.

Your Services lists the government programs you access that offer online services through myGov. You should see ‘Department of Veteran Affairs’ listed here.

Select ‘Department of Veteran Affairs’.

If you do not see Department of Veteran Affairs listed you will have to link this service to your account (See the video below).

You can do this by selecting Link another service.

Select the DVA tile

Step 3:

This is your Department of Veterans’ Affairs My Service Home Page.

My Service allows you to access DVA services online such as:

  • Access support for a service-related condition or injury
  • Access your digital DVA Veteran Card
  • Lodge and track the status of your claims

Look in the middle column titled Claims.

Select Accepted Conditions.

Select Accepted Conditions from the Claims Menu

Step 4:

This page shows your digital DVA Veteran Card.

You will see information such as your Card NumberExpiryCard Type and the Conditions listed on your card.

Select the Conditions Listed drop-down menu to view the conditions listed on your card.

Step 5:

Select Print this Page in the top right-hand corner of the page to download your digital DVA Card as a PDF.

Alternatively, if accessing this on your mobile phone you can take a screenshot of this page. Depending on your phone you can:

  • Press the Side button and the Volume up button at the same time (iPhone)
  • Press the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time


Video on how to log on and link my service: